Welcome to Reception's Class web page. This page is intended to help both the parents, children and families in their journey through Reception. Please use the icons above to navigate through this page.
Please continue to refer to the many help and advice sheets given out at the New Parent Meetings in June, the class website and the Parent Support Pages on the main school website.
Timings for the day
|Staggered Arrive||8.30am - 8.50am|
|Lunch||11.30am - 12.30pm|
|End of the Day||3.15pm|
Class Library will take place every Friday. Children will choose a book from the class library box and bring this home. It is intended that you share this story with your child at home and then return this book to school the following Friday.
Reading & Phonics
Please make sure your child’s Reading Book is inside their reading packet every day. Their 'Tricky Word Book' & 'Sound Book' can stay at home. Please also spend a short period of time as regularly as possible (at least 4-5 days a week) to practice reading skills and share these books with your child. This includes sharing sound books, 'Tricky Word Books', 'Sound Books', playing phonics games, practicing reading regular word flash cards and playing games on the Phonics Play website. Please also look on the 'Reading & Phonics' webpage for further help and advise on supporting your child with reading at home. Please also refer to the handouts given at the Parent Workshop in September to help you support your child to learn to read and write at home.
Our Woodlands School visit will take place every Friday afternoon. Children should come to school in their school Woodlands School clothing wearing Velcro shoes and bring their outer clothing in a separate bag. We ask that you provide suitable clothing for wet, cold and muddy play, but also consider the changing weather through spring and into summer where they will not need as many layers. A thin all-in-one play suit is still a great option:
- All-in-one waterproof suit / waterproof raincoat
- Hat / gloves
- Wellies / walking boots (please put these in a separate bag inside their Woodlands School Bag to help with managing in class)
Be aware that your child may still come home dirty, so ensure they are wearing old clothing you don't mind getting dirty. Please make sure you send their footwear in a separate bag. Don't forget to look on the photographs webpage to see what we have been doing.
This half term, our main PE day is Wednesday. This session will be led by an external provider. Children should come to school wearing their outdoor PE kits:
- Plain black tracksuit
- School PE t-shirt
- Velcro trainers
Please consider joining the school's active PTA. Meetings take place at 7pm in the school. These meetings are currently being help via Zoom. The office will advise you of the dates and Zoom log in details. If you do not want to join the committee or cannot attend the meetings, you can still help at the events. You can help by offering your skills, making a donation and supporting the many fantastic PTA events. Please let me know and I will pass on your offer to the PTA. Please keep an eye on Parent Mail and Mrs Johnston's weekly Headlines for the date of our next PTA meeting. Fingers crossed we will be able to hold more events this year.
If you have any questions, worries or queries, please use the contact email form below or your child's blue Links Books.
Mrs Turley - Class Teacher Mrs Long - Teaching Assistant
Teaching Students: Miss Begum & Mr Bradley will be with us every Tuesday and 2 block placements until May.
- reading packet and pump bag too. It is especially helpful to add a key ring onto the reading packet and pump bag to help your child identify it
- Travelling Ted will go home regularly with his travel bag with a child who the staff are particularly proud of that day
- The 'Prayer Bag' will go home every day on a rota basis
- The 'PE Bag' will go home every day on a rota basis
- Music lessons with Mrs Taylor - Friday
- PE lessons - Wednesday with an external provider
- After School Club - Wednesday. Please collect your child from the main office at the end of the session. Children will be brought out to you.
- Woodlands School - Friday - see above for information
- Children should not be bringing sweets or chocolate to school
*Please note, that dates and times are subject to change. Please keep your eye on Mrs Johnston's weekly Headlines Parent Mail*
**Please note, that due to the current Coronavirus pandemic, dates and parental involvement are subject to change**
- Value & Virtue - Grateful & Generous
- Monday 25th April - Children return to school
- Monday 2nd May - School closed for May Bank Holiday
- Tuesday 3rd May - PTA meeting at 7pm
- Wednesday 4th May - Whole School Mass Memorial for Mrs Ridings
- Friday 13th May - National Numeracy Day
- Monday 16th May - Walk to school week - How many times this week can you walk to school? Perhaps try using wheels too.
- Friday 20th May - Journey through Time Day. Children to come to school dressed as 'Neil Armstrong & his space exploration adventures'
- Friday 20th May - PTA Quiz night at 6.30pm - adults only.
- Wednesday 25th May - Whole School & Parish May Procession - please join us at 9am
- Thursday 26th May - Vocations Day - If you could come to school or join via Zoom, we would love you to talk to the class about the job you do. Please contact me if you think you could spare 15 minutes of your time. Whether it be a nurse, police officer, builder, driver, shop worker, doctor, gardener, solicitor, dentist, vet, scientist etc, the children would love to hear about the work you do. You never know, it might spark an interest in one of the children that could guide their future. You might prefer / also like to talk with a class further up through the school.
- Thursday 26th May - School closes for half term
- Friday 27th May - School Closed for INSET
- Monday 6th June - School Closed for Queen Elizabeth's Platinum Jubilee (70 years)
- Tuesday 7th June - School re-opens for the final term
- Monday 20th June - National Sports Week - Commonwealth Games Focus
- Thursday 23rd June - Chorpus Christi Procession
- Friday 24th June - Bottle Mufti Day (children to wear their own clothes and bring in a bottle of alcohol for the bottle tombola at the PTA Garden Party)
- Friday 1st July - Sweet Jar Mufti Day (children to wear their own clothes and bring in a decorated jar of sweets for the sweet tombola at the PTA Garden Party)
- Thursday 7th July - Y6 Confirmation
- Friday 8th July - Sports Day - arrangements and timings TBA
- Saturday 9th July - PTA Summer Garden Party - arrangements and timings TBA
- Thursday 14th July - Transition to Y1
- Friday 15th July - Back-up Sports Day
- Friday 22nd July - Old Shoe donation for St Chad's - If children have grown out of their shoes, then please consider donating them. Children can wear trainers for the final day of the year and Mrs Turley will take the old shoes to St Chad's for children less fortunate than us
- Friday 22nd July - School closes for Summer holiday