As of November 2020, we are excited to be introducing the 'Trick Box' programme to St Anne's. The programme focuses on:
CALM & MINDFUL
COMMUNICATION & POSITIVITY
It is intended to help children to develop early happy and healthy habits to:
- Recognise and self-manage emotions
- Develop mindful awareness around body and mind connections
- Build awareness and choices
- Create confident, mindful decision making
- Set and achieve positive goals
- Develop communication skills to enhance interpersonal relationships
- Problem solve and create solution thinking
- Build confidence to try new things in new ways
- Develop positive mindset building long-term resilience
In Reception, there are 6 tricks that we will use with the children. It is intended that we will focus on 1 trick for each half term. In Reception, each trick focuses on the character Drew and his dog Doodle. We have story books, trick cards, a Trick Box display including a real life Doodle teddy and Drew. Each new trick will be added to the display and referred to through the year.
The model that Trick Box uses, teaches children the following model:
Accept - This is what is going on. This is how I feel.
Be - I want to be better
Choose - What can I choose to do?
Do - Do it
As adults, we will support the child by asking:
Accept - What's going on? So, this is what's going on. How does that make you feel? So this is how you feel.
Be - You want it to be better - How could it be better?
Choose - What can you choose to do?
Do - Now do it!
The tricks we will be focusing on in Reception are:
- Mirror Mirror - You're Great!
- Stand Tall
- Breathing Colour
- Floating Cloud
- Free Flow
More information about each trick will be added to this website as they are introduced to the children.
For information on how Trick Box is being used in other schools and how it supports the children, please watch this BBC news clip: